The Kariba Dam Rehabilitation Project.
17th Aug 2020
Standing 128 metres tall and stretching 579 metres as it spans the powerful Zambezi River, the Kariba Dam is undergoing refurbishment to ensure its continued safe operation. The dam was constructed over sixty years ago and holds 185 cubic kilometres of water and generates electricity for parts of Zambia and Zimbabwe. A requirement for refurbishment was identified during routine monitoring of the dam. The Kariba Dam Rehabilitation Project will focus on two areas – the refurbishment of the spillway and reshaping of the plunge pool.
The spillway consists of six sluice gates which enable water to be released from the dam to manage the water levels. When exposed to water, concrete undergoes minor expansion. After decades of the dam’s operation, this expansion is approaching a point where the smooth operation of the sluice gates could be affected.
As water gushes from the dam’s spillways, the sheer force as it enters the waters below creates erosion on the river bed. This erosion has created a deep pool at the base of the dam and there is potential for the erosion to reach the dam’s foundations with the inevitable consequences. To remedy the situation the plunge pool wall will be re-enforced.
To remove the concrete without damaging the underlying rebar or the surrounding metal infrastructure, hydro demolition methods will be employed. Hydro demolition uses a high pressure jet of water at a pressure, normally above 1000 bar, enabling concrete removal faster than using a jackhammer but without affecting the metal rebar. Where the mechanical impact of a jackhammer can cause small cracking in the surrounding healthy concrete, hydro demolition affects only the concrete that it comes into contact with.
The vibrations jackhammer users will be all too familiar with are almost eliminated with high pressure water jetting; Recent Hand Arm Vibration (HAV) legislation has led to a huge increase in the use of high pressure water jetting for concrete removal applications. Furthermore, with hydro demolition, operators benefit from reduced noise and dust. The finish achieved with hydro demolition gives a surface which is ideal for bonding between old and new concrete. In addition to the benefits already mentioned, hydro demolition is, quite simply, much quicker than traditional techniques.
The project will require both manual hand lance and robotic methods of concrete removal. Calder will supply the high pressure pumping and filtration equipment. The Calder scope of supply includes:
2 x Containerised Pump Units
Each unit is mounted into a noise-attenuated container and features the Hammelmann HDP500 series reciprocating plunger pump. Driven by a Volvo engine, each unit will deliver 262 lpm at 1040 bar.
2 x Trailer Pump Units
These units are mounted onto road-going running gear. The Hammelmann 200 series pump is driven by a Cummins diesel engine and each unit has a performance of 110 lpm at 1000 bar.
2 x Containerised Water Filtration System
These filtration systems allow the water used for the Hydrodemolition process to be reused or cleaned up to a quality that will allow the water to be returned to its source, in this case back to Lake Kariba.
Operation and Maintenance Training
Operation and maintenance training are included in this project. Our Life Cycle Services team offer familiarisation and training courses, and full service and spares support.
For more information on our high pressure waterjetting equipment click here
- Video case study – pump skid for existing platform
- Dry dock time reduced using high pressure water
- Civil engineering company finds a better way to clean formwork
- New Purchasing Manager
- Manufacturer to replace chemical cleaning with high pressure water
- We are forty – photo album
- New Operations Manager
- 150 offshore MultiJets manufactured
- Repeat order for Fast Fill Pressure Test Cabin
- David Abbatiello Retires
- Returning customer orders electric pump skid
- Calder is forty years old!
- Further success for our OffshoreLITE range
- Lee Watkins appointed Managing Director
- Rupert Knowles appointed Head of Engineering
- ATEX Zone 1 hot water jetting unit ready for despatch
- High Above the Streets of London
- Work starts on two hot water jetting units for ATEX Zone 1 operation.
- Order for Aquaculture high pressure pump units.
- The Kariba Dam Rehabilitation Project.
- Calder to Build Pressure Equalisation Pump for BP Hod.
- NQA Recertification.
- Despatch of ATEX and NORSOK Waterjetting Pump and Vacuum Units.
- Remote Factory Acceptance Test
- We are delighted to welcome Nick Croad to the team.
- Covid 19 – We are still open and operating.
- Over 40 pumps purchased in ten years.
- Order for HPHT Wash Water Skid.
- Veolia orders high pressure pump unit for industrial cleaning applications.
- Returning customer orders a complete surface preparation system
- High pressure pump unit for subsea tool applications
- Malt Screen Wash Pump Despatched for the Brewing Industry
- Customer Adds to Their Fleet of Calder Pump Units
- Yet another order secured for our HPHT and base oil washdown packages.
- Ammlee Group blasts almost 70m³ of concrete from Belfast Harbour with Calder MultiJet
- Work starts on ATEX and NORSOK Waterjetting Pump and Vacuum Units
- Design starts on two MEG Injection packages for FPSO
- Work starts on five chemical injection packages
- One-size-fits-all TST kit
- ISO 45001 – Occupational Health & Safety Management System
- Six Hydro Jetting Pump Units for Plant Maintenance Company in Middle East
- Two electrically powered, high pressure, pump units ready for GA Drilling
- Work Starts on Oxy Scavenger Injection Pump for Offshore, ATEX Zone 2 Environment
- GOST/RTN-compliant cuttings re-injection units.
- Washdown pump skids designed and manufactured in accordance with CSA and CRN requirements.
- Nuclear washdown skid
- Pressure equalisation pump unit for Valhall Flank West
- Shell take collection of a lightweight, compact, hydraulically driven, high pressure chemical injection package
- Large order for Johan Sverdrup highlights the benefits of the PG/Calder relationship
- Energy company orders a lightweight, compact, hydraulically driven, high pressure chemical injection package
- Hammelmann High Pressure Technology Symposium
- Lightweight units to suit the needs of the offshore industry
- A fleet of lightweight, compact air compressors for hazardous environment operation
- MEG Injection pump package with twin variable stroke pumps
- Work starts on MEG pump package for the Nova tie-back to Gjøa Project
- Final checks for this robust offshore unit
- Work Starts on Pump Unit for Subsea Coatings Removal
- More power for Middle East petrochemical customers
- BOP testing system en route to drillship
- Venetian Bridge, Clacton Selective concrete removal, paint removal, and concrete preparation
- Billy Campbell – New Industrial Sales Manager.
- Retirement for Julian – a new chapter begins.
- Downhole chemical injection unit for hydrate control during well start-up operations.
- SafeContractor approved for our food and automotive industry work.
- Major companies discover what hydrodem can achieve for them.
- A new MultiJet and “the largest concrete repair project …”
- Drillship BOP Test System
- High ambient temp. vacuum for FPSO waste recovery
- …making excellence a habit ™
- Variable Stroke Methanol Injection Skid
- Investors in People – Silver Award
- Outstanding Vendor Award
- Offshore Europe 2017
- New Recruit for Service Team
- Tier IV Waterjet Trailer Unit for Automotive Work
- A Visit to Downing Street
- Calder recognised in fourth edition of London Stock Exchange Group’s ‘1000 Companies to Inspire Britain’ report.
- Customer Very Happy with New External Tube Bundle Cleaner
- Waterjet Pump Units for Nuclear Decontamination
- Work Starts on a Compact, Twin, Variable Stroke Methanol Pump Skid
- Another successful exhibition in Busan
- 2 x HPHT Methanol Injection Packages Despatched to North Sea Customer
- MultiVac DNV 2.7-2 Compliant Vacuum Unit – Designed, Built, Tested, and Despatched
- New Calder Stage 4/Tier IV High Pressure Water Jetting Trailer Unit
- Lightweight Offshore Pump Package for Well Service Customer
- Offshore Northern Seas (ONS) Exhibition in Stavanger, Norway
- Verify certification with good scores
- New Markets for High Pressure Pumps – Aquaculture
- Offshore Arabia 2016
- Calder recognised as “Company to Inspire Britain” in annual LSEG report
- PG Flow Solutions Product Training
- Augean Purchase Onshore and Offshore Ultra-High Pressure Units
- Calder Launch BundlePro Range
- PG Flow Solutions and Calder join forces
- The Parliamentary Review – A Year In Perspective
- Offshore Europe 2015 exhibition – decommissioning talking point
- Zone II High Pressure Jetting Package with NORSOK Option Module
- Celebrating 30 Years of Service
- 1,800 kW Waste Injection Package
- Lightweight Compact Offshore Vacuum Package
- Self-contained Well Intervention Package en route to Aberdeen
- Calder Test Bay Extension
- UK Concrete Show, Birmingham, UK
- Four Air-driven Pneumatic Chemical Injection Packages for North Sea Platform
- 6 weeks to design, manufacture and test a chemical injection pump package
- Offshore Korea Exhibition
- Calder Delivers Containerised High Flow Zone II Jetting Unit
- Versatile Jetters for Offshore Well Abandonment
- Offshore Northern Seas (ONS) Exhibition in Stavanger, Norway
- NORSOK, DNV Compliant Well Service Pump Packages for Offshore Norway
- BSI Award
- Site Trailer High Pressure Jetting Unit
- Design Solution in a Tank
- Multi-purpose High Pressure Well Service Package
- Hazardous Area Pump Package for Unmanned Platform
- Hazardous Area High Temperature Washdown Unit
- Calder recognised as “Company to Inspire Britain” in new LSEG report
- A successful show and a purchase order to boot!
- Fisher Offshore
- Atex ZONE 1 Hot Wash
- Heli-portable well service units
- Sabre Jetting of Birmingham
- Progressive Technical Services back Calder’s MultiJet
- Veolia Environmental Services expand their Calder fleet
- Offshore Northern Seas (ONS) Energy Fair, Conference and Exhibition in Stavanger, Norway
- Hydro Demolition Units
- Methanol Injection Package for Norwegian Well Intervention Vessel
- UK Sector Offshore- Chemical Injection Packages
- Lord Jones of Birmingham opens new Calder manufacturing facility.
- Calder calls for school leavers to be better equipped for the world of work.